Water Filter Essential for Purification of Drinking Water
Drinking water should be free from disease-causing bacteria and toxic chemicals which harm the human body. World health organization gave standards for water so that it can be tested and used for drinking purposes. In the world, most children lose their life due to polluted drinking water.
Water available in the form of groundwater or surface water is the source of drinking water for populated cities, now in the present situation we are polluting these water sources, and even contamination of groundwater with the wastewater produced by industries and cities lead to the growth of bacteria and viruses which harm the human body.
The well-known and dangerous diseases diarrhoea, cholera, jaundice etc affect the lives of children which are caused by drinking water. Drinking water is the main source of diseases. Water contains chemoheterotroph type of bacteria mostly.
To protect ourselves and to have safe drinking water we can use a water filter which mostly helps us by filtering out pollutants. Before choosing a water filter one should gain enough knowledge which is essential, to be on the safe side, because all filter is not equal and do not work in the same fashion. For each type of raw water based on the constituent present in it, a particular water filter will work efficiently, because in the world there is no commercial filter which can work with 100 % efficiency to filter any type of water.
The filter’s main components are a carbon pad, UV- chamber, micron filter chamber, chlorinator and water polisher. These are the minimum components a water filter should contain to give healthy drinking water. So before you buy a water filter or purifier please go through whether these components are present are not. Along with these now a new advanced filter is in the market but their effects are still in test and even cost more.
In general, if you have a groundwater facility and this water contains physical impurities and no bacterial substance then you go for a filter which has a cotton and carbon pad, 0.3-micron filter, and chlorinator with a water polisher. Chlorine dissolves the chlorine in the water for disinfection and forms a ClO- as the oxidizing agent. Remember to clean your filter chamber every 2 months to prevent bacterial growth and mostly all the parts that store water should be of stainless steel, not plastic.
Let’s see the impurities which are to be removed from the water and discuss methods used to obtain safe drinking water:
1. Hardness impurities which are the dissolved salts of calcium and magnesium
Temporary or carbonate hardness: it is said that the water contains calcium and magnesium bicarbonate, and these can be reduced by boiling to precipitate insoluble carbonate. This treatment forms sediment at bottom of the container.
Permanent or non-carbonate hardness: the same calcium and magnesium but with sulphates and chlorides from a permanent hardness in water. These can be removed by chemical reactions or ion exchange
2. Other water impurities
Gases- air, carbon dioxide, hydrogen sulphide
Insoluble matter causing turbidity
Soluble colour compounds
Nitrification and De-nitrification processes are used for the effective removal of nitrogen in any type of water.
10 Effective Ways to Purify Drinking Water
- Boiling: Boiling water is one of the most effective ways to kill bacteria and other microorganisms that can cause illness.
- Filtration: A water filter can remove a wide range of contaminants, including bacteria, viruses, and sediment.
- Chlorination: Chlorine is a powerful disinfectant that can kill a wide range of harmful microorganisms.
- Ultraviolet (UV) light: UV light can be used to kill bacteria, viruses, and other microorganisms in water.
- Reverse osmosis: Reverse osmosis is a process that uses pressure to force water through a membrane that removes impurities.
- Distillation: Distillation involves heating water to create steam, which is then condensed back into the water, leaving behind impurities.
- Iodine treatment: Iodine can be used to disinfect water by killing bacteria and other microorganisms.
- Ceramic filtration: Ceramic filters can remove impurities from water by trapping them in the ceramic material.
- Silver treatment: Silver has antimicrobial properties and can be used to purify water by killing bacteria and other microorganisms.
- Activated carbon filtration: Activated carbon can remove impurities from water by adsorbing them into the carbon material.
It’s worth mentioning that some methods are better than others depending on the source of water, the type of impurities, and the desired level of purification. It’s always recommended to consult an expert or a professional in water purification to determine the best method for your particular situation.
Related topic – click here
- Types Of Losses In Transformer Explained
- Differences Between 8085 And 8086 Microprocessor
- 8085 Microprocessor Architecture | Working On 8085 Microprocessor
- Difference Between Single-Phase And Three-Phase Transformer
- Water Filter Essential For Purification Of Drinking Water
- Thermocouple Types And Comparison | Thermocouple Of 8000-Liter Storage Tank