Spark Plug Maintenance and Function in Performance of Automobiles
Internal combustion engines perform the conversion of energy from chemicals to work. The fuel is ignited and the expansion property of the gas is utilized to move the piston in the cylinder. A spark plug is used to ignite the fuel-air mixture. Spark plug design helps to improve the performance of the ICE systems. Automobiles spark plugs to be cleaned and maintained at periodic intervals to get high efficiency of the engine because it corrodes and carbon soot deposits on the surface of the spark plug sparking tip.
Due to this effect automobile or motorcycle engines do not start immediately, so check the spark plug and clean its tip with a cotton cloth and fix it back. This will make the engine start. The spark plug sparking tip is the form of the positive and negative electrode set up placed very close to each just in millimeters. When a power supply is given from an automobile battery a charge in the form of a spark pass between these electrodes.
Types of spark plugs used are:
- Resistor spark plug (SP)
- Inductor SP
- Shielded SP
Position and fitting of the spark plug will also show direct effect combustion and even the presence in the electrodes of the spark plug causes pre-ignition of the air-fuel mixture. In wet weather conditions and in low-temperature regions the spark plug to be covered with suitable containers when are used to seal the spark plug and make it waterproof.
In winter and rainy seasons, the fuel gets into the combustion chamber with partial vaporization and when it enters liquid droplets deposit on the electrode’s surface, which is wetted when an engine is to be started it fails even after repeated attempts which leads to the battery down. To overcome this spark plugs with heat coils and insulators are used.
Petrol engines with twin spark plugs will perform much better which have the advantage of complete combustion of fuel and air mixture.
Motorcycle Maintenance Workshops and Services
Here is the list of service providers for all kinds of motorcycle scheduled maintenance works. Modification of all types of bike parts is done here and with reasonable prices, and even you can exchange your bike for a new model with little exchange prices and have free maintenance for two to three years. Register to the instant service providers who are ready for door services 24 X 7.
They maintain all the best practices in handling paint jobs, handlebar bending, seat modification, leather works, engine oil change, and wheel trimming. You can change the silencer of the bike to that which gives the roaring effect like Harley Davidson too, if you have sports bike special care is required for its oil cooling system for the engine, the optimized and effective cooling systems are available so that the engine could have the longer life.
Periodic maintenance of motorcycles results in improving life and performance. The main services to be considered during the motorcycle servicing are:
- Air filter cleaning with compressed air and replacement after every year and if the motorcycle is used in dirty and sandy conditions the sand clogs the air filter system and damages the filter media.
- Oil filter cleaning protects the engine piston and cylinder from wear and tear by metallic particles collected by the engine oil during the course of time. Paper and fiber-type thin filters are fitted at the engine oil pump outlet.
- Battery charging and electrolyte filling do be within every 5 to 6 months for a better life. If the motorcycle is equipped with an auto start and twin headlight system then it consumes more energy than other electrical systems in the motorcycle. So auto-start should be not used unnecessarily and the repetition of starting the bike by auto-start discharges the battery quickly.
- The silencer contains the carbon capture filter and noise control air duct opening. A dust flue gas collector is placed along the dimensions of the Silencer which collects the black particles of carbon and dust. This starts clogging during the winter season and starts producing black smoke from the silencer outlet.
- Fuel filters in most cases are not much consideration for cleaning because the fuel we used for motorcycles is best purified from the fuel suppliers but when they are transported to the fuel stations they are changes of dust particles and metallic particles from corroded piping and the storage system will enter into the fuel tank along with gasoline.
- The shape of the wheel is to be checked for its regular shape. A small deviation in shape may lead to poor performance of the motorcycle.
Basics of Motorcycle Maintenance
A Guide To Learn How To Ride Motorcycle Or Motorbike Safely, Maintenance and Performance Tips for Motorcycle engine
A guide to knowing about safe motorcycle driving procedures and to get the awareness of motorcycle performance. You should leave your casual and careless behavior and be conscious. Then only you can enjoy the motorbike ride and boost your confidence level.
Starting the Motorcycle:
- Before starting the motorcycle ensure with the ignition key off, adhere to the following first thing in the morning or after a long period of non-use (whichever is the case).
- Depress the clutch lever completely.
- Kick the kick lever all the way down to its stop, briskly a couple of times.
- Release the clutch lever.
Starting the Motorcycle Engine:
1. Keep the fuel tap in the ON or RESERVE position.
2. Turn on the ignition switch to the ON position.
3. Confirm that the motorcycle transmission is neutral.
4. Keep the throttle (accelerator) completely closed, and push the starter button if it is electrical start the motorcycle, if not kick the engine with the kick starter lever.
Do not operate the starter continuously for more than 5 seconds when the motorcycle engine does not start. Wait for 15 seconds before you restart.
The motorcycle is equipped with a starter lockout switch. For most of advanced motorcycles, they can be started in any gear when the clutch lever is depressed.
It is the best-recommended practice to start the engine with the transmission in neutral.
Moving Off For A Ride On A Motorcycle:
- Check that the center/side stand is up (most percentages of accidents are caused by this negligence of removing the side stand of the motorbike in hurry and when the motorcycle takes a sharp turn during the ride this hard stand will make the bike out of control and swing both tires from the ground losing the grip which results in skidding of the motorbike dangerously without any chance of escaping the accident)
- Depress the clutch lever.
- Shift the gear which is recommended by the model of the engine mostly 1stgear is preferred for instant pickup.
- Open the throttle which means slowly raising the sound of the engine by rotating the accelerator at the handlebar and simultaneously releasing the clutch lever slowly, which makes the motorcycle move with slow momentum.
- As the clutch starts to engage, open the throttle a little more, giving the engine just enough RPM to keep it from stalling.
- Close the throttle and depress the clutch
- Shift into the next higher or lower gear
- Open the throttle and release the clutch lever slowly and simultaneously
When shifting down to lower gear, do not shift at such a high speed that the engine RPM rises excessively and which may cause the rear wheel to skid.
Don’t get feared of learning motorcycle riding from motorcycle training schools it just wastes of money and time, you can improve your motorcycle riding skills without having a motorcycle training schedule in motorcycle lessons. It is practiced by the motorbike engine sound and the speed of the motorbike picks up when the motorbike rider gets this logical relation he can do all the magic and fun of motorcycle riders.
Braking Practices for a Motorcycle:
Close the throttle completely by releasing the accelerator to its relaxed position, leaving the clutch engaged (except were shifting gears) so that the motorcycle engine braking will help slow down the motorcycle.
Shift down one gear of the motorcycle at a time so that you are neutral when you come to a complete stop.
When stopping the motorcycle, always apply both brakes (that is front and back wheel brakes) at the same time. De-clutch is as necessary to keep the engine from stalling.
Never lock the brakes, or never compress the brake lever to its limit because in case of a disc brake the motorbike will cause the tires to skid. When cornering and moving to the narrow space use brakes judiciously and do not declutch. Reduce your speed before you get into the corner. For emergency braking, apply back wheel brakes and then follow the front wheel to have good control avoiding skidding.
Stopping the motorcycle during the ride:
- Decrease your speed by releasing the accelerator.
- Shift the transmission into neutral.
- Bring the motorcycle to a complete stop.
- Turn the ignition switch off. Support the motorcycle on a firm level surface with the center or side stand and lock the steering.
Do not park on a soft or steeply inclined surface or the motorcycle may fall over, don’t be negligent.
When applying the brakes, use both the front and rear brakes, applying only one brake may cause the vehicle to lose control.
Good Riding Habits:
Ride the motorcycle smoothly and steadily at an optimum driving speed of 40 to 50 km/h or within the ride control selector.
- Avoid harsh braking.
- Change the gear of the motorcycle engine judiciously according to the speed requirement.
- Don’t overload the vehicle above the specified payload.
- Use the accelerator of the motorcycle judiciously.
- Cut off the engine if you want to stop the motorcycle for more than two minutes
Everyday Checks of the Motorcycle before you ride:
Motorcycle Engine oil: The oil level in the motorcycle engine crankcase should be between the upper and lower mark engraved on side of the view glass otherwise check the level by the level dip.
Correct play in the throttle cable (2 to 3 mm).
Smooth operation and a positive return of the motorcycle throttle grip to the closed position.
Steering Lock: correct operation
Correct the pedal play of the motorcycle to be about 15-20mm.
Brake lining wear indicator within (USABLE RANGE)
No dragging of the brake should happen during the free rotation of the wheel when the motorcycle is on the full stand.
Proper slack of the motorcycle chain should be maintained about 25-30 mm, which is connected to the engine gear and rear wheel gear
The Drive chain should be lubricated based on the duty of the chain because each lubricant has its own property of taking load such as heat and friction of the chain.
Operation of all lights of the motorcycle such as headlight and back with signal lights to check.
The smoothness of the steering handle is to be checked. It should not generate any raw sound during free movement.
A clutch of the motorcycle should have a lever play of about 2 to 3 mm.
The lever should be greased for smooth operation.
Proper Running In of Motorcycle:
Proper running –is important for a better life and trouble-free performance of the vehicle.
Do not race the motorcycle engine excessively.
Do not start moving or race the engine of the motorcycle immediately after starting. Run the engine of the motorcycle for a minute at idle speed to give the oil a chance to work up into the engine parts.
For the Best Performance of the Motorcycle Ensure the Following Tips:
Check fuel lines and connections for leakage.
Inspect and clean the spark plug. Adjust the electrode gap.
Clean the air filter element periodically.
Check the level of engine oil in the oil sump and use recommended grade and quantity.
Ensure that the brakes are not dragging/ binding
Ensure correct clutch lever play
Always maintain the recommended Tyre pressure, for general bikes back and front tires should have 36 and 26 psi respectively.
Adjust idling speed.
Maintenance of the Motorcycle to Be Performed When It Is Not In Use:
1. Non-use maintenance is necessary if a motorbike remains off-road for a longer duration (more than 15 days). The correct and careful non-use maintenance carried out before storing the motorcycle will prevent the bike from rusting and from other non-operational damages like fire hazards.
2. Clean the entire motorbike thoroughly.
3. Empty the fuel from the fuel tank and carburetor float bowl (if fuel is left in for a longer time, the fuel will break and a gummy substance could clog the carburetor)
4. Remove the spark plug and put several drops of engine oil which is recommended for the engine model your bike has, into the cylinder. Kick the engine over slowly a few times to coat the cylinder wall with oil and install back the spark plug.
5. Set the vehicle in a box or a stand so that both wheels are raised off the ground.
6. Spray oil on all unpainted metal surfaces to prevent rusting. Avoid getting oil on rubber parts or brake liners.
7. Lubricate the control cables.
8. Cover the entire motorbike neatly. Make sure that the storage area is well-ventilated and free from any source of flames or sparks.
9. Fill 10% excess air pressure on both wheels.
Remove the battery and keep it on a wooden plank, in a properly ventilated area.
Before taking the motorbike for use, get the battery recharged from the authorized service center/ battery dealer. Check and correct the electrolyte level and apply petroleum jelly on terminals (applicable for certain models).
Preparation of Motorcycle for Regular Use after Storage:
- Clean the motorbike.
- Make sure the spark plug is tight.
- Fill the fuel tank with fuel.
- Change the engine oil.
- Check and inflate tires to the proper Tyre pressure.
When a speed breaker comes in a way how to slow down and pick up the motorbike:
1. When you observe the speed breaker from enough distance close or release the throttle while holding the clutch firmly. This makes the bike to disengage from the engine rotation and move freely.
2. Now apply the brakes gently making the bike slow down enough so that it can cross over the speed breaker simultaneously remember to shift gears to a higher level.
3. When you shift the gears to a higher level your bike can pick speed just when you cross over the speed breaker, by increasing the throttle and releasing the clutch.
4. Now make sure your back wheel completely crosses the speed breaker and if not increase the throttle so that you can give enough throttle to ride over the speed breaker remember the logic if you increase the throttle release the clutch and if you release the throttle than hold the clutch.
5. This makes the bike to be on condition and prevents it from switching off in the middle.
Cause and Troubleshooting:
Motorbike engine generally starts with a capacity of 100 CC to 1000 CC. Normal city riders choose up to 500 CC. Manufacturers provide a kick facility to start the bike along with the electric start. For clutch and gear bikes, they recommend using the kick at the initial start of the day to provide the oiling to the inner parts of the engine due to kick movement and to prevent sudden battery discharge. However, kick operation depends on the manufactures design. Riders due to negligence or hurry, use high pressure on the kick rod to start the engine at once. This prolongs operation damages the recoil spring in the engine and also damages the clutch and gear system. Clutch plates also get wear off quickly.
Engine and inner part life can be improved when the kick is operated in the following ways:
- Hold the clutch and move the kick rod a couple of times, this will help to pump the lubricant to all the inner moving parts.
- Release the clutch and apply judicial downward pressure on the kick rod, due to the previous operation if the bike has an auto chock engine starting immediately.
- Release the kick rod slowly if not the recoil may hit the leg with damaging pressure.
- PH Measuring Instruments, Working Principle, Theory, And Determinating Methods
- Naphtha Reformer For Hydrogen Production | Natural Gas Plant Design And Process Description
- MULTI-COMPONENT DISTILLATION COLUMN DIAGRAM | Nanobots And Nanotechnology
- Production Process Options For High-Impact Polystyrene
- Types And Modes Of Heat Effects | Individual Heat Transfer Coefficient And Thermal Diffusivity Calculator
- Hydrogen Production And Hydrogen Storage Techniques
- Flow Through Packed And Fluidized Beds | Fluid Mechanics
- Fluid Catalytic Cracking Unit Flow Sheet And Process Equipment
Welcome to my website! I’m Aanchal Gupta, an expert in Electrical Technology, and I’m excited to share my knowledge and insights with you. With a strong educational background and practical experience, I aim to provide valuable information and solutions related to the field of electrical engineering.
I hold a Bachelor of Engineering (BE) degree in Electrical Engineering, which has equipped me with a solid foundation in the principles and applications of electrical technology. Throughout my academic journey, I focused on developing a deep understanding of various electrical systems, circuits, and power distribution networks.