Chemical engineering is a bright career option for all those students who are yet to join in the engineering stream and even for diploma-level education, it has wide importance for job placements in research, petroleum refining industries, petrochemical industries, pharmaceutical, food and beverages, defense, chemical weapon technology centers, nuclear plants, power plants, fertilizer plants it does not stop with that a higher pay and higher rank categorized jobs in pollution control, oil exploration, government agencies are available for a chemical engineer. The Chemical engineering course is the latest and adapts to every stream of other engineering branches like mechanical, electrical and electronic, biochemical, microbiology, computer science, etc. A basic platform of chemistry, physics, and mathematics is to be mastered by the student who wants to choose chemical engineering.
Advanced topics like fluid mechanics, mass transfer, heat transfer, thermodynamics, transport phenomenon, chemical reaction engineering, and instrumentation and process control are discussed in the course, and some of the topics as process modeling and simulation, computational fluid dynamics, and chemical engineering economics are added up as per the changes in new technologies. Post-graduation and Ph.D. degrees holders of chemical engineering are highly preferred for the post of plant in-charge and directors’ to the research departments and continuously operated petrochemical plants. Software skill adds more importance to a chemical engineer, which is demanded by design, simulation, and consultancy industries.
Software like MATLAB, ASPEN PLUS, and Fluent are been used as chemical engineering tools. Process dynamics and control is the subject included in instrumentation engineering which is very important in designing the automation process control systems for the unit operations and the unit process of the chemical industry. An outline of chemical process principles, chemical technology, and optimization is included in the duration of the course.
Chemical Plant Designing Principles followed for Commissioning a Process Industry
To start up a designing task of a chemical plant or any chemical process every engineer including from all branches of chemical, mechanical, instrumentation, electrical and civil is involved in their respective section of the designing activity. As concerned with chemical plant or industrial designing and even in the designing of a signal unit operation or unit process these factors should be established and every individual step to be documented for further reference and modification of the designs. An outlook of the commissioning steps is briefed for a simple glance. You can use this free calculator for calculation analysis of fixed capital investment, operating cost of labor, utility cost, raw material, and profits
- Raw material selection.
- Block diagram of the process.
- Material and Energy balance of the process.
- Equipment selection.
- Piping drawings, instrument drawings, electrical and civil drawings.
- Layout drawings.
- Utility section equipment capacity calculation based on energy requirement found by energy balance.
- Individual equipment drawings and flow sheet.
- Blueprint of the complete process.
- HAZOP and safety studies (safety interlock systems).
- Redesigning of the process flow sheet.
- Construction of the civil structures.
- Equipment installation and commissioning
- Leak and pressure tests of the equipment and pipelines.
- Instruments and controller installation, calibration.
- The trail run with water and then with air.
- Purging the process equipment.
- Validation runs are taken for stabilization of the process.
These are the steps which are involved in commissioning a chemical industry but they just side words where a lot of brainstorming hours will decide every task for execution, these should be kept in mind for every fresh engineer to grow his experience because fresher who enter into the well-established company he may not know how does it function and no one will take keen interest to spoon feed. Having just a bit of term and knowledge on the above activities will support him in building up his confidence among the senior engineers and staff.
Manufacturing Plant Design:
A sequential process analysis is done to design the plant for better performance in handling high loads. By using 3D modeling and simulation a visualization of the plant structure is made and even provide space and flexibility to adapt to new technology improvement made in unit operations.
These are huge building structures that are equipped with machines, robots, computer-operated machines, control systems, and utility supplies like power, water, and ventilation systems. By means of high labor or manpower, they work 24 hours to produce a mass production of goods from raw materials available. The term manufacturing plants were brought from the industrial revolution.
- Electrical Transformers | Switchgear Protective Device | Power Consumption Of Appliances And Electrical Apparatus
- Simple And Differential Distillation Experiment Procedure
- Distillation Column Diagram | EFFECT IN TOWERS AND COLUMNS
- Hybrid Distillation And Pervaporation System | Distillation And Distillation Column
- How To Design And Construct A Distillation Column Along With Mechanical Parameters? What Are The Stepwise Procedures For Designing The Distillation Column?
- An Introduction To Diffusion Concept In Mass Transfer
- Flow Through Packed And Fluidized Beds | Fluid Mechanics | Flow Through Packed And Fluidized Beds
- Fluid Catalytic Cracking Unit Flow Sheet And Process Equipment | Fluid Catalytic Cracking (FCC)