Acetylene plants are available in capacities from 25m3/hr to 200m3/hr and are quite automatic in nature. The reaction of calcium carbide with water leads to the production of acetylene in a Stationary Carbide to a Water-type Automatic Acetylene Generator. Calcium carbide is fed from the top of the generator shell where the large quantity of water is already held and which yields the following reaction:
CaC2 + 2H2O → C2H2 + Ca(OH)2
The processing unit should be equipped with high-level non-return valves, and pressure and temperature sensors for safety and control operations. An operation like the production of acetylene can only be done when perfect automation and a controlled system are added to the system, vent valves should be highly sensitive and accurate. Flashback arrestors make the whole process run smoothly.
Acetylene gas can be produced by the following process:
1. Drums containing calcium carbide should be opened only just before filling and carbide to hoppers.
2. Carbides containing more than 15% dust and sizes exceeding the limits specified should not be kept for charging in hoppers.
3. Keep the hopper change-over switch in a manual position if the carbide is to be charged to a running generator.
4. Close the hopper equalizer valve. Ensure zero acetylene gas pressure into the hopper to be charged by opening the hopper vent valve.
5. Lift the skip containing calcium carbide with the help of a pneumatic hoist.
6. Locate the skip manually above the hopper to be charged, and lower the skip till inserted in the hopper slightly.
7. Draw the removable cap and poke with a brass rod, when charging is interrupted. Ensure that the skip was made empty.
8. Lift the skip.
9. Clean the carbide dust accumulated on the lids and hopper.
10. Replace the lid carefully. Stop nitrogen purging. Disconnect the nitrogen purging line.
11. Be sure that nitrogen purging is done continuously as long as the charging is undergoing.
Pieces of the equipment described in the process:
Accessories fitted to the generator:
1. Twin Hoppers
2. For better mixing agitator is fitted with a spark-proof motor.
3. Feeder for continuous feeding of calcium carbide.
4. Arrestor to prevent any kind of flash generated in the system.
5. Automatic control sensors with the auto safety valve
Generated acetylene is cooled down
Calcium carbide and water are reacted to form Acetylene and calcium hydroxide. The generator is equipped with an automatic by-product discharger. A high-pressure drier helps in drying the acetylene gas by using anhydrous calcium chloride.
It is used to separate hydrogen sulfide and phosgene that were produced along with acetylene. A wire mesh works as a surface for the gases to separate easily.
It is a counter system, all the produced gas passes through the counter flow of water to remove ammonia content and any water-soluble gases from acetylene.
Acetylene is highly flammable and so compressing it in the three-stage compressor is a highly dangerous task, but the technique of water surrounding and sealing will make the acetylene compressor work in a sealed environment avoiding contact with air.
- Acetylene gas from methane content gas
- Acetylene from natural limestone
- Electrical Transformers | Switchgear Protective Device | Power Consumption Of Appliances And Electrical Apparatus
- Simple And Differential Distillation Experiment Procedure
- Distillation Column Diagram | EFFECT IN TOWERS AND COLUMNS
- Hybrid Distillation And Pervaporation System | Distillation And Distillation Column
- How To Design And Construct A Distillation Column Along With Mechanical Parameters? What Are The Stepwise Procedures For Designing The Distillation Column?
- An Introduction To Diffusion Concept In Mass Transfer
- Flow Through Packed And Fluidized Beds | Fluid Mechanics | Flow Through Packed And Fluidized Beds
- Fluid Catalytic Cracking Unit Flow Sheet And Process Equipment | Fluid Catalytic Cracking (FCC)